I remember my mom using the term “acquaintance” a lot, mostly referring to my elementary school classmates who were loud and messy that she didn’t want me to have playdates with. I feel like I’m in a really weird, transitional time in terms of my social life. My closest friends no longer live in NYC, and while I feel like I’m “friendly” with a lot of people, there are definitely some differences between people you call acquaintances and those you call friends.
1. It’s normal to have a conversation via email with an acquaintance, but you’re not even sure if you have you BFF’s current email address. That’s what texting is for, no?
2. Instagram comments = for friends (unless you’re drunk and feeling generous).
3. They’re your friend if you tag them in 4 dozen memes on Facebook everyday.
4. They’re an acquaintance if you don’t feel comfortable talking about your finances with them.
5. They’re an acquaintance if you’d rather not sit next to them on your commute.
6. Drunk snapchatting is a sure sign of friendship.